Thursday, May 29, 2008

Push 'em back, push 'em back, waaay back!

How do you like the new meme?

It' nicely counters the one that started in the late seventies when AT&T encouraged customers to "Reach out and touch someone," ie, run up that phone bill. Reaching out was the treacly substitute for "Hey, you."

And after you'd reached out what then? Well, the next meme in line: you shared.

BusinessSpeak of the eighties showed up in meetings that began not with "I have something to tell you," but with, "I have something to share with you."

Very soon, All I Really Need To Know I Learned In Kindergarten became a bestseller. The toddlerization of American was getting blatant. Who would save us?

The terrible twos, it turns out. We've been in pushback mode for about a year now, and it's leaking out of the media diaper. But I don't care. Pushback conjures "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore." In the face of creeping dhimmitude, enough with reaching out and sharing ... the other kid has no intention of reciprocating.

What comes after pushback?

No comments: